I view myself as a strong person, thinking I can handle anything… throughout my life I fell into depression many times but never realized – because I thought depression was for the WEAK. It affected my work, my friendships, my marriage and my ability to be a mom my children deserved.
Depression is a very common problem that can happen to anybody, it is not a sign of weakness.
Depressed people tend to have unrealistic negative opinions about themselves, their life and their future. You see the world as a dark and sad place with no hope of something good or positive in your future.
Effective treatment is possible and available. It tends to take at least a few weeks before treatment reduces the depression but adherence to any prescribed treatment is important.
Please check out these self help techniques will help you if you think you have symptoms of depression: (National Mental Health Programme at the Ministry of Public Health is the source for these tips)
- Talk to someone you trust about your feelings. Most people feel better after talking to someone who cares about them.
- Keep up with activities that you used to enjoy when you were well even if they sound uninteresting now.
- Stay connected, keep in contact with family and friends and engage in social activities.
- Exercise regularly, even if it’s just a short walk for 45 minutes 3 times per week.
- Stick to regular eating and sleeping habits. Try to go to bed at the same time every night and avoid staying in bed the whole day.
- Avoid alcohol intake and refrain from using drugs as a resort because they are not helpful and can worsen depression.
- If you feel suicidal, contact someone for help immediately.
Remember: Depression can be treated. If you think you have depression, seek help.
Life is not easy, and is not going to get easier… be ready to handle it with a lot of FAITH, but seeking medical advice is not wrong.
When I started therapy recently, everyone around me thought it was such a taboo – only crazy people need mental help! But I am so grateful I started.
YOU CAN SURVIVE THIS. YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR LIFE.
GOOD LUCK SUPER MAMAS
ARE YOU A SUPER MAMA LIVING IN LEBANON?
JOIN US ON FACEBOOK! https://www.facebook.com/SuperMamaLebanon/
Our social platform for WOMEN ONLY: https://www.facebook.com/groups/supermommybeirut/
ARE YOU A SUPER MAMA LIVING IN DUBAI?
JOIN THE GROWING SUPER MAMA COMMUNITY IN DUBAI:
JOIN US ON FACEBOOK! https://www.facebook.com/supermamadxb
Our social platform for WOMEN ONLY: https://www.facebook.com/groups/SupermomsDubai/